Fion Bremner is a consultant neuro-ophthalmologist working at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery.
He studied medicine at StThomas' Hospital and intercalated a PhD in neurophysiology at University College London. He then trained in ophthalmology at Moorfields Eye Hospital and did two years sub-specialty training as a clinical fellow at the National Hospital. Fion is President of the European Neuro-ophthalmological Society (EUNOS) and is actively involved in developing the training of neuro-ophthalmology in the UK and abroad.
He sees the full spectrum of neuro-ophthalmic disease, but also has active research programmes investigating pupil abnormalities and retinal changes associated with neurological disease. Fion is clinical governance lad for ophthalmology, and was also previously elected as the medical and dental staff representative on the hospital governing board.
General ophthalmology, neuro-ophthalmology
- Kardon R, Bremner F. Pharmacologic Pupil Testing and Imaging for Horner Syndrome. In Neuro-Ophthalmology: Global Trends in Diagnosis, Treatment and Management 2019 (pp. 121-132). Springer, Cham. DOI 978-3-319-98455-1_10
- Bremner F. Apraclonidine is better than cocaine for detection of Horner syndrome. Frontiers in Neurology 2019;10:55 DOI=10.3389/fneur.2019.00055
- Bremner F & Drapkin A. The Dynamic Oval Pupil. Frontiers in Neurology 2019; 10:75 DOI=10.3389/fneur.2019.00075
- Chelban V, Wilson MP, Chardon JW, Vandrovcova J, Zanetti N, Zamba-Papanicolaou E, Efthymiou S, Pope S, Conte MR, Abis G, Liu Y-T, Tribollet E, Haridy NA, Botia JA, Ryten M, Nicolaou P, Minaidou A, Christodoulou K, Kernohan KD, Eaton A, Osmond M, Ito Y, Bourque P, Jepson JEC, Bello O, Bremner F, Cordivari C, Reilly MM, Foiani M, Heslegrave A, Zetterberg H, Heales SJR, Wood NW, Rothman JE, Boycott KM, Mills PB, Clayton PT & Houlden H. PDXK mutations cause polyneuropathy responsive to pyridoxal 5'-phosphate supplementation. Annals of Neurology 2019; 86: 225-240
- Horga A, Bugiardini E, Manole A, Bremner F, Jaunmuktane Z, Dankwa L, Rebelo AP, Woodward CE, Hargreaves IP, Cortese A, Pittman AM. Autosomal dominant optic atrophy and cataract “plus” phenotype including axonal neuropathy. Neurology Genetics. 2019 Apr 1;5(2):e322.
- Leyland LA, Bremner FD, Mahmood R, Hewitt S, Durteste M, Cartlidge MR, Lai MM, Miller LE, Saygin AP, Keane PA, Schrag AE. Visual tests predict dementia risk in Parkinson disease. Neurology: Clinical Practice. 2020 Feb 1;10(1):29-39.
- Thomas-Black GJ, Parkinson MH, Bremner F, Giunti P. Peripapillary retinal nerve fibre layer thickness in Friedreich’s ataxia: a biomarker for trials?. Brain. 2019 May 13;142(6):e23-.
- McHugh JA, D'Antona L, Toma AK, Bremner FD. Spontaneous venous pulsations detected with infrared videography. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology. 2020 Jun 1;40(2):174-7.
- D’Antona L, McHugh JA, Ricciardi F, Thorne LW, Matharu MS, Watkins LD, Toma AK, Bremner FD. Association of Intracranial Pressure and Spontaneous Retinal Venous Pulsation. JAMA neurology. 2019 Sep 9.
- D’Antona L, Craven CL, Merchan MA, Thompson SD, Bremner F, Thorne L, Matharu MS, Watkins LD, Toma AK. Paradoxical response of intracranial pressure to shunt valve setting adjustments. Acta Neurochirurgica. 2020 Jun 24:1-8.