Dr Kunal Babla has been practising as a consultant neonatologist at University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust since 2021. He is an honorary consultant in paediatric cardiology at Great Ormond Street Hospital, and has been an honorary associate professor in neonatology at University College London since 2022.
He studied medicine at Guy’s, King’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals School of Medicine and trained in neonatology at St George’s, King’s and University College Hospitals. He completed fellowships in paediatric cardiology at the Royal Brompton Hospital and in Medical Education at King’s College Hospital.
Kunal has special clinical and research interests in neonatal cardiology and echocardiography. He has completed the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI) Certification in Congenital Heart Disease Echocardiography and continues to work closely with the paediatric cardiology team at Great Ormond Street Hospital. Kunal led the development of the neonatal cardiology clinic at UCLH, and is UCLH's clinical lead for newborn screening.
Kunal has an active interest in medical education, completing an MSc in health professions education at UCL. He is currently RCPCH college tutor and training director at UCLH. He is responsible for the oversight of education programmes for junior doctors and advanced nurse practitioners; evaluating performances; developing frameworks and educational activities; and ensuring appropriate supervision and care is provided.
Kunal is interested in promoting equality, diversity and inclusion in healthcare and is part of the EDI Member Reference Group in the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
Neonatal cardiology, medical education
Kutchi, Gujarati, Hindi
- Kingdon C, Lissauer T, Pickard L, Marlais M, Babla K. How did I become? London Paediatrics 2022; 1(2)
- Babla K, Lau S, Akindolie O, Radia T, Kingdon C, Bush A, Gupta A. Allyship: an incremental approach to addressing microaggressions in medicine. Paediatr Child Heal. 2022; 32(7): 273-275.
- Babla K, Duffy D, Dumitru R, Richards J, Kulkarni A. Repeatability of PDA diameter measurements on echocardiography. Eur J Pediatr. 2022; 181: 403-406
- Arattu Thodika FMSMS, Nanjundappa M, Babla K, Bell AJ, Greenough A. Right pulmonary artery thrombus in a premature infant. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. Aug 2021.
- Babla K, Akindolie O, Gupta A. Time to Address Ethnic Inclusivity in Children & Young People’s Research. Lancet E Clin Med. 2021 (37)
- Williams E, Nanjundappa M, Babla K, Wong J, Dassios T, Greenough A. Pericardial effusion and pulmonary veins stenosis in severe bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. April 2021.
- Babla K, Lau S, Akindolie O, Radia T, Modi N, Kingdon C, Bush A, Gupta A. Racial microaggressions within respiratory and critical care medicine. Lancet Respir Med. 2021; 9(3): e27-e28
- Babla K, Dassios T, Pushparajah K, Hickey A, Greenough A. Premature infants with patent ductus arteriosus: Postnatal growth according to type of management. Pediatr Neonatol. 2020; S1875-9572(20)30132-7
- Babla K, Shetty S, Kulkarni A. A clinical and echocardiographic approach to evaluation of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants. Paediatr Child Heal. 2020; 30(4):129–132.
- Babla K, Crampton P, Kronfli M. National licensing examinations: what are they good for? Clin Teach. 2020; 17: 323-325
- Babla K, Lipton J, Williams S, Chopra P, Thenabadu S. Simprovisation: A model for student-led simulation. Clin Teach. 2020;17(1):64–9
Babla K & Thenabadu S: OSCEsmart Paediatrics: Practice vignettes, histories and mark schemes. Simon Cowen Publishing. London. February 2017
Babla K & Thenabadu S: PICU Chapter. The Unofficial Guide to Paediatrics. Zeshan Qureshi Publishing. London. March 2017