Professor Kailash Bhatia is a professor of clinical neurology in the Sobell Department of Movement Neuroscience at the Institute of Neurology, UCL, Queen Square, London and an honorary consultant neurologist at the affiliated National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square.
He obtained his basic medical degree and neurology training in Mumbai, India and further training in neurogenetics and movement disorders with the late Professors Anita Harding and David Marsden at the Institute of Neurology, London. In 2007 he was appointed senior lecturer and honorary consultant neurologist, and in 2002 was promoted to professor of clinical neurology.
Prof Bhatia is a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and corresponding fellow of the American Academy of Neurology.
Professor Bhatia has over 500 publications, including 384 peer-reviewed papers. He has recently published “Marsden’s book of Movement disorders”, a comprehensive piece of work which has been highly acclaimed. He is the current Associate Editor of the Movement Disorders Journal. He is a grant reviewer for Telethon, Inserm France, UK PD society and a medical advisor to the UK Dystonia society and on the scientific board of the Bachman Struass trust. He is the current chairman of the Movement Disorders subcommittee of the European Neurological Society (ENS), and serves on various committees of the International Movement Disorders Society.
His main research interest is in movement disorders, merging clinical, electrophysiological and genetic methods to study the pathophysiology of conditions like dystonia, tremor and parkinsonism.
- Stamelou M, Edwards MJ, Hallett M, Bhatia KP. The non-motor syndrome of primary dystonia: clinical and pathophysiological implications.Brain. 2012 Jun;135:1668-81.
- Shiner T, Seymour B, Wunderlich K, Hill C, Bhatia KP, Dayan P, Dolan RJ. Dopamine and performance in a reinforcement learning task: evidence from Parkinson's disease.Brain. 2012 Jun;135:1871-83.
- Kojovic M, Bologna M, Kassavetis P, Murase N, Palomar FJ, Berardelli A, Rothwell JC, Edwards MJ, Bhatia KP.Functional reorganization of sensorimotor cortex in early Parkinson disease. Neurology. 2012 May 1;78(18):1441-8.
- Edwards MJ, Bhatia KP. Functional (psychogenic) movement disorders: merging mind and brain.Lancet Neurol. 2012 Mar;11(3):250-60.
- Lee HY, Huang Y, Bruneau N, Roll P, Roberson ED, Hermann M, Quinn E, Maas J, Edwards R, Ashizawa T, Baykan B, Bhatia K, et al. Mutations in the novel protein PRRT2 cause paroxysmal kinesigenic dyskinesia with infantile convulsions.Cell Rep. 2012 Jan 26;1(1):2-12
- Pareés I, Saifee TA, Kassavetis P, Kojovic M, Rubio-Agusti I, Rothwell JC, Bhatia KP, Edwards MJ. Believing is perceiving- mismatch between self-report and actigraphy in psychogenic tremor.Brain. 2012 Jan;135:117-23.
- Plazzi G, Pizza F, Palaia V, Franceschini C, Poli F, Moghadam KK, Cortelli P, Nobili L, Bruni O, Dauvilliers Y, Lin L, Edwards MJ, Mignot E, Bhatia KP. Complex movement disorders at disease onset in childhood narcolepsy with cataplexy.Brain. 2011 Dec;134(Pt 12):3480-92.
- Stamelou M, Edwards MJ, Espay AJ, Fung VS, Hallett M, Lang AE, Tijssen MA, Bhatia KP. Movement disorders on You-tube- Caveat spectator.N Engl J Med. 2011 Sep 22;365(12):1160-1.
- Schwingenschuh P, Edwards MJ, Katschnig P, Rothwell JC, Bhatia KP. The blink reflex recovery cycle differs between essential and presumed psychogenic blepharospasm. Neurology 2011;76(7):610-4
- Edwards MJ, Moretto G, Schwingenschuh P, Katschnig P, Bhatia KP, Haggard P Abnormal sense of intention preceding voluntary movement in patients with psychogenic tremor.Neuropsychologia. 2011 Jul;49(9):2791-3. Epub 2011 Jun 6.
- Bhatia KP.Paroxysmal dyskinesias.Mov Disord. 2011 May;26(6):1157-65.
- Katschnig P, Massano J, Edwards MJ, Schwingenschuh P, Cordivari C, Bhatia KP.Late-onset asymmetric myoclonus: an emerging syndrome. Mov Disord. 2011 Aug 1;26(9):1744-8.
- Stamelou M, Rubio-Agusti I, Quinn N, Bhatia K. Characteristic constant groaning in late stage progressive supranuclear palsy: a case report.Parkinsonism Relat Disord. 2011 Aug;17(7):575-6.
- Ruge D, Tisch S, Hariz MI, Zrinzo L, Bhatia KP, Quinn NP, Jahanshahi M, Limousin P, Rothwell JC. Deep brain stimulation effects in dystonia: Time course of electrophysiological changes in early treatment.Mov Disord. 2011 May 5
- Damásio J, Edwards MJ, Alonso-Canovas A, Schwingenschuh P, Kägi G, Bhatia KP.The clinical syndrome of primary tic disorder associated with dystonia: a large clinical series and a review of the literature.Mov Disord. 2011 Mar;26(4):679-84
- Moustris A, Edwards MJ, Bhatia KP.Movement disorders and mitochondrial disease.Handb Clin Neurol. 2011;100:173-92.
- Edwards MJ, Alonso-Canovas A, Schrag A, Bloem BR, Thompson PD, Bhatia K. Limb amputations in fixed dystonia: A form of body integrity identity disorder?Mov Disord. 2011 Apr 11.
- Carecchio M, Schneider SA, Chan H, Lachmann R, Lee PJ, Murphy E, Bhatia KP.Movement disorders in adult surviving patients with maple syrup urine disease.Mov Disord. 2011 Jun;26(7):1324-8.
- Kojovic M, Caronni A, Bologna M, Rothwell JC, Bhatia KP, Edwards MJ. Botulinum toxin injections reduce associative plasticity in patients with primary dystonia.Mov Disord. 2011 Jun;26(7):1282-9.
- Mian OS, Schneider SA, Schwingenschuh P, Bhatia KP, Day BL.Gait in SWEDDs patients: comparison with Parkinson's disease patients and healthy controls.Mov Disord. 2011 Jun;26(7):1266-73.
- Talelli P, Hoffland BS, Schneider SA, Edwards MJ, Bhatia KP, van de Warrenburg BP, Rothwell JC.A distinctive pattern of cortical excitability in patients with the syndrome of dystonia and cerebellar ataxia.Clin Neurophysiol. 2011 Sep;122(9):1816-9.
- Edwards MJ, Bhatia KP, Cordivari C Immediate response to botulinum toxin injections in patients with fixed dystonia.Mov Disord. 2011 Apr;26(5):917-8.
- Kojovic M, Cordivari C, Bhatia K.Myoclonic disorders: a practical approach for diagnosis and treatment.Ther Adv Neurol Disord. 2011 Jan;4(1):47-62.
- Mir P, Trender-Gerhard I, Edwards MJ, Schneider SA, Bhatia KP, Jahanshahi M.Motivation and movement: the effect of monetary incentive on performance speed.Exp Brain Res. 2011 Apr;209(4):551-9.
- Quinn NP, Schneider SA, Schwingenschuh P, Bhatia KPTremor--some controversial aspects.Mov Disord. 2011 Jan;26(1):18-23.
- Moreno-López C, Santamaría J, Salamero M, Del Sorbo F, Albanese A, Pellecchia MT, Barone P, Overeem S, Bloem B, Aarden W, Canesi M, Antonini A, Duerr S, Wenning GK, Poewe W, Rubino A, Meco G, Schneider SA, Bhatia KP, Djaldetti R, Coelho M, Sampaio C, Cochen V, Hellriegel H, Deuschl G, Colosimo C, Marsili L, Gasser T, Tolosa E. Excessive daytime sleepiness in multiple system atrophy (SLEEMSA study).Arch Neurol. 2011 Feb;68(2):223-30
- Pareés I, Kojovic M, Prasad Korlipara LV, Bhatia KP.Cervical dystonia associated with facioscapulohumeral dystrophy: expanding the clinical spectrum?Mov Disord. 2011 Mar;26(4):765-6.
- Kassavetis P, Hoffland BS, Saifee TA, Bhatia KP, van de Warrenburg BP, Rothwell JC, Edwards MJ.Cerebellar brain inhibition is decreased in active and surround muscles at the onset of voluntary movement.Exp Brain Res. 2011 Mar;209(3):437-42.
- International Parkinson Disease Genomics Consortium, Nalls MA, Plagnol V, Hernandez DG, Sharma M, Sheerin UM, Saad M, Simón-Sánchez J, Schulte C, Lesage S, Sveinbjörnsdóttir S, Stefánsson K, Martinez M, Hardy J, Heutink P, Brice A, Gasser T, Singleton AB, Wood NW. Imputation of sequence variants for identification of genetic risks for Parkinson's disease: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies.Lancet. 2011 Feb 19;377(9766):641-9. Epub 2011 Feb 1.
- Damásio J, Edwards MJ, Alonso-Canovas A, Schwingenschuh P, Kägi G, Bhatia KP.The clinical syndrome of primary tic disorder associated with dystonia: A large clinical series and a review of the literature.Mov Disord. 2011 Jan 12
- Moretto G, Schwingenschuh P, Katschnig P, Bhatia KP, Haggard P.Delayed experience of volition in Gilles de la Tourette syndrome.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2011 Jan 6.